Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gadwalls

It's been a while in-between posts, but I've been working hard on a new piece.

Gadwalls - 13" x 18" Acrylic on board

This piece was my entry for North Carolina's duck stamp competition this year. It did not place, but I wasn't expecting to do overly well... this was my very first competition, and my first time painting ducks in acrylic. I had to bear in mind what the piece would look like reduced down to a very small stamp as I worked on it.

I have been wanting to get into the Duck Stamp "scene" for quite a while now, but have only recently been able to work up the courage (and finances) to do so. Going against this country's best waterfowl artists is very intimidating to me, but I am trying to overcome that since I do really love ducks and I hope someday to get to the point where my work is up to par with the competition. Maybe. :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, if that didn't place, there must have been some FANTASTIC works in the competition. I love this piece, especially the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look close at it to make sure it wasn't a photo. But I see what you mean about it having to look good when scaled way down. I think you have a bit too much background and not enough duck for a stamp. But as a wall hanging, for instance, it would be fantastic. I love the contrast between the cool blues and the warm browns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much. NetRaptor, I agree.. I think I have too much background for this to compete well. There's always next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing. I thought it was a photograph at first before reading your post. I can't imagine what the pieces that placed looked like.

    And I want to say I think you are AMAZING o_0. I just found your deviantart through one of the threads in the windstone editions forum (something I also recently found). I especially love your handmade jewelry. They look so elegant and beautiful. (and I have a thing for those kind of designs and natural stones) I've been meaning to try some wire work out for a while but have used a little bit in the flower things I make.

    Sorry for the long post ^__^ But I just wanted to tell you I love your work. I just created a blogspot today and also showed a couple of my friends your work. They were all so amazed and couldn't believe that it was handmade.

    And who. Your painting rocks, and you're going dominate next year =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic detail, love the reflection on the water!

    ReplyDelete