Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sparkly

Though it is not my calling in the same way painting is, I do enjoy crafting jewelry. It is the same primal feeling of taking things from the earth and working and combining them to create something new and hopefully beautiful. Wire wrapping is one of the oldest forms of jewelry creation, dating back to 2000 BC and possibly even earlier. I use nothing more than my hands, fingers, and some very simple pliers to craft these pendants.

 
Here are a few from the most recent batch; Labradorite, Moonstone, Lapis Lazuli and Smokey Quartz.
Not to scale.
There is something to be said about the timelessness and transience of jewelry. It is an item of luxury that is treasured amongst every demographic, culture, age, gender.. and I am immensely thankful for it, because it is what keeps me floating when the other types of art aren't selling. It can be a very zen-like art form, because I never know what's going to happen when I get out a stone and cut some wire. Each one is different and takes its shape with no planned thought.

Plus, you know... it's fun to play with the sparklies!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work! They look to be so full of spirit and mystery~*

    ReplyDelete