Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Immature Gyrfalcons

Just some quick pencil and watercolor studies of immature / baby gyrfalcons. I was inspired to sketch the young gyrfalcons as I watched a special from the BBC called "White Falcon, White Wolf." http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/white-falcon-white-wolf/introduction/3323/

Since I cannot travel to see wild gyrfalcons, sketching them from 'life' on the video was the next best thing for now at least. I was really taken by one of the fledglings that twisted her head every which way to follow some feather down floating around  in the breeze in front of her.

My sketch-work has never been very good, but a few folks expressed interest in seeing it so here it is!

Immature Gyrfalcon Studies,  approx. 11" x 8" pencil (graphite) and watercolor. 

4 comments:

  1. Your sketches are better then my finished products....... O.o

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is an example of your not-very-good sketch work, you have the wrong opinion of your ability - this is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure how you can say your sketch work isn't very good, but then again, every artist is their own worst critic...! That said, I like the gesture-y quality these have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My sketch-work has never been very good..." Pff. Nonsense. While I love your finished works, I think your sketches and studies have a gorgeous energy to them. The way the four gyrfalcons on the right sketch are separate, yet meld in a rhythm takes skill.

    I've always been impressed with your color choices and ability to make your colors work together so well. And of course (as I've mentioned before) you seem to have a natural skill when it comes to perception, and capturing not just the appearance of the animal, but the feeling of it as well.

    I'd love to see more of your sketches! These are especially great.

    ReplyDelete