Saturday, December 31, 2011

The last piece of 2011

Seeing the end of 2011 , or any year, can be a deeply personal thing. Some people say goodbye to the old year in a meaningful, ritualistic way, and some people just see it as another day.

I am always interested in seeing what the last piece is that I squeeze out before the year end!

This time it is an atmospheric piece-- of of my favorite things to paint, done on commission for Chelsea Howe of one of her fantasy critters. The scene and colors were pulled out of my head, while I referenced character sheets to try and make sure her character was painted true to its nature. It has the features of a winged polar bear / dragon and has horns like a ram.

"Mountainrise" - Digitally painted using Corel Painter
(Oil pastel, real bristle, and pastel tools used)

Here's a detail of the beastie:

And a Work In Progress from a few days ago. You can see where I have the clouds well built, and was just starting to block in the mountain:


Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment