Monday, February 27, 2012

Tundra Swans

As usual, the beginning of the year sees me very busy painting for a few contests with early deadlines. Through December and January, I worked on the following painting of a trio of Tundra Swans, based on my studies of these beautiful birds both in the wild and from a local outdoor flighted aviary. I found out this week that it tied for 6th place out of 32 entries in North Carolina's Waterfowl Stamp Competition.

"Evening Elegance"- Tundra Swans. 16" x 20", Acrylic on board


  Since I get the painting back, I have custom framed it. I wasn't entirely happy with the frame as purchased, and so I set about embellishing it by hand; I used a sculpt-able epoxy that cures to a very, very hard set as I know that the corners of frames see the most abuse, especially when transporting them. I then carefully gilded the sculpted corner details with 23k genuine gold leaf, which is quite a process, and then used a professional furniture stain to antique the entire frame. This brings the details out, creates more warmth, and gives an aged and classic appearance to the frame. I couldn't resist adding little gold-leafed swans to the embellishments...


For those keen on this sort of thing,  I have it for sale in my online store. It will also be in a gallery / exhibition showing at St. Bonaventure University in Allegany, NY for the month of April.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. I definitely will own one of your swan paintings after I get a house. :)Just give me a few more years.

    ReplyDelete